The NMHA is one of the largest minor hockey associations in the country. We provide a hockey program for up to 2,500 kids. To do this we need more than 600 adult volunteers.
If you would like to volunteer, please do one of the following:
- Email Gail in the hockey office and provide your contact information, areas of interest, and any special skills/qualifications that apply to the NMHA.
High School Volunteers
Please note that all timesheets must be signed by Karla Clarke.
Many high school students find volunteering in the NMHA the ideal way to meet their community service requirement for their secondary school diploma. Every year our high school volunteers help at a number of events and in many different ways.
If you would like to volunteer, please email Jodi Parker and provide your contact information, availability, and useful skills (i.e. Goalie, Player etc).
Team Based Volunteers
Competitive and House League Team Coaches:
- Complete information on coaching requirements and qualfications can be found on the HEO website at http://www.hockeyeasternontario.ca/pages/coach/coachcert.php
- Every team has to have a qualified Trainer on the Bench. There is Level 1 and Level 2 certification.
- No team can operate without a manager. There are no specific prerequisites to be a manager; you just need the time to devote to the team.
- Handle tournament arrangements for your team e.g. registration, accomodation. There are no specific prerequisites to be a tournament coordinator, you just need the time to devote to the team.
Association or Administration Based Volunteers
These volunteers assist with the day-to-day operations of the NMHA. These positions are:
- Each sub-division (for example, Novice C) of the NMHA House Program has a convener.
- This is a season-long position, and requires you to work with the board on Evaluations, Game Scheduling and Completion, Team Registration, Ice Distribution and Billing, and be the liaison for the parents for the Division.
Hockey Office Volunteers or Data Entry
- You will assist the Office Manager with computer data entry and correction in the Hockey Canada Registration system at peak times, usually the Fall. Your own Computer and Internet access are required.
Directors of the Association
- Directors and NMHA Executive Members are elected at the NMHA Annual General Meeting in May of each year.
- NMHA Executive members include the NMHA President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Registrar, Volunteer Coordinator, etc. For a complete list of positions refer to the Contact Us page.
Special Events Volunteers
- Every year, the NMHA sponsors special events, such as tournaments, the skate exchange, volunteer appreciation night, and others. These events need people to help, both young and old.
- Administration of all Coach and Trainer clinics run by NMHA and associated policies. This includes scheduling the clinics, booking rooms and presenters, advertising the clinics, registration for the clinics on the day of the clinic.
- Ordering of all year end plaques and plaques needed for Volunteer Appreciation Night and AGM at the end of the hockey season.
Sortout or Evaluation Volunteers
Evaluators – Timbit, Novice, Atom, Peewee, Bantam, Midget, and Goaltender
- You will be called upon to evaluate the players at sortouts in September. Please only volunteer for this position if you have hockey experience and knowledge.
- You will help the convenor by calling parents during the Evaluation process and notify them of when their players’ ice times are.
Dressing Room Attendants
- You will help the DC’s by assigning sortout jerseys, controlling dressing rooms, ensuring that players are wearing correct numbers, etc.
On Ice Coordinators and Assistants
- You will assist the sortouts by running the drills, or keeping the players occupied and moving on the non-evaluation end of the ice.